May 19, 2024, 09:42:00 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

keeping track of modifications made on a project

Started by dossic, September 17, 2008, 02:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dossic

Dear friends :

I'm again here for help.

In writing a project, I was unable to find a simple way to keep track of the modifications done.  In anoher BASIC language I used (Liberty Basic) there was the option to save versions during development, and to compare differences between them.  Do we have something similar in EB?

Thanks   Carlo

Boris

You can â€ËÅ"brew your own’ using the DOS command â€ËÅ"FC’. (See: http://www.computerhope.com/fchlp.htm)

Write a little EBASIC App, using the System command. Also use the â€Ã...“>â€Ã, parameter at the end of the FC command so that results are directed into a text file rather than being displayed on the screen. EG:

SYSTEM â€Ã...“FC C:\...\...\fileversion1.eba C:\...\...\fileversion2.eba > differencefile.txtâ€Ã,

Then EBASIC can open the difference file and parse out any useful information.

You can test the FC command thus:

Create a simple text file called file1.txt in the root directory (C:\). Then copy that file and make a couple of changes and save it as file2.txt. Then: Start Menu > Run. Type â€ËÅ"cmd’ (no quotes) and press return. In the DOS window type â€ËÅ"cd\’. This navigates you to the root directory. Now type â€ËÅ"FC file1.txt file2.txt’ (no quotes). The difference report will be dumped to the screen. Now type â€ËÅ"FC file1.txt file2.txt >dif.txt’. Nothing seems to happen, but a new file has been crated called â€ËÅ"dif.txt’ which contains the difference report.
Thank you for not breeding

LarryMc

Boris,
I've been using DOS commands since around 1980-81 and I don't ever remember that command.  Don't know how I over looked it.

thanks

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Boris

You’re welcome. I have used this command in the past for a simple security check. On boot up, a program runs that uses DOS functions thus:

DEL oldfile.txt
REN file.txt to oldfile.txt
DIR > file.txt
FC file.txt oldfile.txt > diff.txt

It does this in the root directory, the windows directory and the system directory, and parses diff.txt for info about any new files that may have appeared, been deleted or any files that have altered â€ËÅ"last modified’ dates etc. FC has always been a pretty cool function.
Thank you for not breeding

dossic

Hi!
I remind perfectly what FC did in old DOS days....  I started using DOS in 1988 on an Amstrad PC with a single 3.5" diskette drive with no HD!

What I was asking is something different. I am looking for a way (if one exists) to keep track of different versions of a EB project within the IDE, to make easier saving the i-th version while starting to make modifications for the i+1 version, modifications that can send the software to crash. So, I could simply go back, choose the i-th version, and start again.
I know I can save each time the individual files with different names, but I (personally) do not like it so much.

Probably it is a silly question, but thanks for reading my notes.

Yours   Carlo

John Syl.

Could this be what you are looking for?  http://www.componentsoftware.com/Csrcs/

It doesn't run inside the ide but it does keep track and can mark the files with the revision number.

regards John
Intel 3.6 p4 ht, XP home,2 gb mem, 400 gb hd 20gb raid 0, Nvidia 6600le.
AMD k6-2 500, 40gb.

Started on PDP11 Assembler, BASIC, GWBASIC, 6502, Z80, 80x86, Java, Pascal, C, C++, 
IBasic (std & pro), Aurora, EBasic.  (Master of none, but it's been fun!)