May 05, 2024, 02:30:28 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Opening and closing internet - chat ports - web sites

Started by Andy, March 03, 2011, 01:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi

I was asked by my friend if there was a way (with code) to stop someone from accessing a web site.

I can modify the 'hosts' file which will ban the whole site - but not a sub domain of that site.
e.g   www.bbc.co.uk - ok
but   www.bbc.co.uk/page1 is the one I want to stop not www.bbc.co.uk

not that I want to ban the bbc site - just an example

is there a to do this with code ?
and can you open / close internet ports so you can allow or stop IM programs / Intenet access or in general have control over what a person can do on the internet.

This is something I have no experience in - can any one help or have any ideas.

Thanks,
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

sapero

Such blocking is possible in several ways. The common method is a local proxy server with some kind of filtering (like proxomitron), but the browser must be configured to use this proxy.

More advanced way is a local DNS server + HTTP server. The DNS server should redirect *.bbc.co.uk to the HTTP server, and the http server should filter out the /page1/ "folder". The browser should not use any proxy. If it uses one, the local DNS server should "hook" it if possible.

But all blocking methods are useless if the user uses a proxy (ex. hidemy*ss.com).

Port filtering is build-in the system, at least XP has one, see in the properties of your network card. There is also an easy to compile and configure driver (DrvFltIp).