May 05, 2024, 06:35:58 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Next things I want to do

Started by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry), January 18, 2006, 03:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

The next things I would like to do:
    1.  Request data from a web site.
            Get a stock quote.
    2.  Create a pop-up and get user input in a listview.
            Prompt for input data.
    3.  Access a database using ODBC.
            I want to talk to a sql server.

If any of these things can currently be done - I could use the help getting started.

Zen

Well i maybe able to help you on some of them. Depends how much time you have. I am a little busy at the moment bu i am still trying to get as much done on the common classes as i can. You can use the RAW common class and talk to a HTTP server if you know basic HTTP commands.

e.g. HTTP/1.0 GET /

that should send you back the index page of a website. Some server want more, such as Accept type and Connection headers. Are you after getting the data from a Microsoft SQL server or a MySQL server?

I am writing a common class for both (currently working on MySQL) you just need a little patience lol.

Lewis

Parker

Paul is writing an ODBC library, Lewis is going to write an HTTP class eventually, I know nothing of it though so I can't help there, sorry.

For a popup window, you just make a dialog and use DoModal or ShowDialog to pop it up, and you can return a value in CloseDialog. For example, if you CloseDialog(3); then you will get that value 3 from the DoModal call x = DoModal();. If you need to return more than just an interger, you can perform some operations on receiving the close message.

Zen

I would really recomend using a direct connection to MySQL rather than using the MyODBC driver as it seems to be quite a lot slower. Its ok for simple apps but if you are making complex database applications i would use my MySQL class once it is complete.

Lewis

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

OK
Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
:)

Zen

He He. Not yet. Hopefully soon though.

Lewis