May 03, 2024, 11:52:30 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Okay, found the place where a standard cast is needed

Started by Parker, January 03, 2006, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parker

I've found it! The place where a cast like (int)x would be needed, that is. Say I declared a function like this:
declare import, Function(pointer x)
If I wanted to pass my UINT (okay then, unsigned int) variable, by default it would pass the address. In IBPro, I can change this by doing Function(##<POINTER>UINT_Var). In Aurora at the current time, there isn't a way to do this.

Anyways, I guess I'm just determined to get it into the final version at least. Hopefully sooner :)

Thanks

Ionic Wind Support Team

UINT_var+0

Will pass the contents and not the address ;)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

Maybe so, but it's much easier to read with the casting. I suppose if you really don't want it, we can work around it, but it'd just be nice... I won't go on about this anymore.

Ionic Wind Support Team

In Aurora at the current time, there isn't a way to do this.

Just showing there was a way.   I am not quite done with the syntax yet...so a bit of patience. ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to get it in eventually. Of course this stuff takes time, and I can wait.

Zen

He He. Your so determine to find somewhere you need to cast. Id like to see it too, but dont mind waiting as i havnt needed it yet.

Lewis

Parker

I'm thinking of the Windows API. Sure it's nice to be able to just pass a number, but then how do you remember what it means? If you see (HMENU)1, you realize that you were meaning the control ID. It also makes you more aware of what's going on.

Zen

Yes i agree, it is good, especialy if you are reading someone elses code. Its a right pain if you have to do a ton of detective work to find things out when there are ways to do it more simply.

Lewis