May 18, 2024, 04:01:17 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Can't update or delete.

Started by aronoffs, April 23, 2008, 11:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aronoffs

I created my first database ("Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)") and am able to successfully select from and insert rows into a table.  However, I cannot delete or update rows in that table.  I get a null return code  from the dbExecSql statement and nothing changes in the table.

Here is an example of a Delete I tried:

sqlstmt = "DELETE FROM QuestTbl WHERE RowNum = 0"   /* RowNum is a field in the table */
ptr = DBEXECSQL(dbPtr,sqlstmt)      /* ptr and dbPtr are pointers. */
error = dbGetErrorCode(ptr)
IF LEN(error)
   MESSAGEBOX w, dbGetErrorText(ptr), "Delete of row zero failed"
   dbFreeSql(ptr)
   END
ENDIF
dbFreeSql(ptr)

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
In the help file it mentions using SqlGetInfo to find out info about my database but I can't figure out how to use it.  Is that worth looking into, and if so, what does a SQLGETINFO command look like?

Thanks.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Your SQL statement has nothing to delete in it.

DELETE item FROM table WHERE condition

Ionic Wind Support Team

aronoffs

The Delete statement is trying to remove the row whose RowNum value is 0.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I have found that it works better if you select the item before you delete it.

aronoffs

Larry,

You're saying do a Select of the row, then follow this immediately with the Delete or Update?  I can do that if that's what it takes.  Is this a glitch with the MS Access Driver and EBasic? 

Would I be better off using something like SQLITE?

LarryMc

What type of field is RowNum in the database?

The other Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

aronoffs

LarryMc

Is there actually a record with a 0 in the RowNum field?

Larry
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Only thing I can suggest is post your code and the dbase file so I or someone else can run it and see what's going on.

Larry
LarryMc

aronoffs

Well it turns out there was a logic problem in my program.  When fixed, all worked well.

Sorry for the trouble.

One other question: 
My database was of type Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb).  Is there a more robust free database besides this that will work with Vista?

Stu

Locodarwin

MySQL:

http://www.mysql.com/

Basically the most popular.  It's industry standard anymore.  Microsoft also supplies an excellent version of it for free called "Microsoft SQL Server Express."

-S

Locodarwin

By the way, Sun likes to hide the free version of MySQL (Community Server) as they're always trying to push their paid version.  You can find Community Server 5.1 (latest stable/tested release) here:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html

-S

aronoffs