May 15, 2024, 07:45:04 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Help with Avira A/V

Started by Andy, May 14, 2015, 03:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi,

Sorry to post yet another question, but the anti virus problem has raised its ugly head again.

Avira anti virus is marking one of my .exe's as malware.

I submitted it to Symantec (Norton) - came back varified clean.
I submitted it to Avast - came back varified clean.

Submitted it to Avira - came back verified as Malware.

Before anyone asks - yes I run a very very clean machine, and the PC as scanned before submitting any files for virus check.

So this is the situation:

I have two versions of my software, the standard version and the Enhanced version.

Both versions have a setup program, and included in them are all the files a person needs to setup and run my car diagnostics program -

SetupAutoScan.exe - standard version
SetupAutoScanEnhanced.exe - Enhanced version

I have all the files included in the respective resource files, along with program details, copyright etc.

When SetupAutoScan.exe - standard version was flagged 2 days ago by Avira A/V, I simply copied the Enhanced setup program and made it the standard setup.exe - the only difference at all is the main program included in each setup exe.

The enhanced version setup program has no such problems what so ever, and never has.

Standard version has AutoScan.exe included as a resource.
Enhanced version has AutoScanEnhanced.exe included as a resource.

All of the files including these two files listed above have been scanned one by one and listed as clean by Avira.

I've tried the usual tricks of renaming the setup exe file to no avail.

Does anyone know how the heck to report a wrong diagnosis to Avira, could anyone help me with this? - it seems you have to be a paid subscriber to even contact them.
>:(

Perhaps I will have to follow LarryMc's comment from a few months ago and use a setup package to bundle my files........ but then again I shouldn't have to do that - I know my .exe's are clean and fine.

By the way:
I'm not able to Preview what I'm posting on this forum site anymore - I am using Firefox web browser.
???

Thanks,
Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Andy

Managed to sort it out.

I found the CEO's email address and sent him an email explaining the problem.

Yes, he did reply, and he sorted the whole problem.

I've always found that going to the top really gets things sorted.

Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

aurelCB

ahh old story with avira and clones.
i found that if my setup is inside 7zip then there is no false poitive

Andy

Hi Aurel,

That's very interesting! - I will give it a go.

Thanks,
Andy.

Bill-Bo

andy1966,

You indicate you are using foxfire. If you save one of the site's pages that has a code window and try to copy and paste that code offline, it will, in most editors, be all on one line. My UltraEdit, even IWB 3.0, displays it as one line. Wordpad (it's called Write in Windows 8.1), and my Atlantis editors will display and save as text normal. I have ran across some that will display it okay, but saves as one line. So I use IE on this site.

The problem is the site is powered by SMF. This and one other site, QB64.net, powered by the same, has the same problem. It's okay on others.

Bill

Andy

Hi Bill,

Are you talking about previewing a message on this forum?

Even in IE, when I click on 'Preview', it justs says 'Fetching Preview...' and never shows anything.

Does anyone else have the same problem..... It's handy for me, as my spelling is not the best.

Thanks,
Andy.

RitchieF

Hi Andy,

seems to be a problem of the forum software . Doesn't work here, too.

Please have a look here :

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=528614.msg3751749#msg3751749

Richard

Andy

Thanks for that Richard,

Thought it was just me.

Andy.