May 03, 2024, 05:09:18 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Hint 01-14-2012

Started by LarryMc, January 14, 2012, 11:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Nothing to show at the moment but I'm currently working on a Print Preview for the IDE that will be written in IWBasic.

Might be something that can later be made into an add-on ( for users to use in their apps ) if and when I get through.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

Larry,

A Print Preview would be great, in fact, better printing facilities all round would be great!

A thing that bugs me with the current IWB are Projects. If you have created a program that
uses a project file, the project file should be opened with it, automatically, and then close the
project file when you close the associated program file

I have been caught quite a few times compiling a program without a project, having a project
file from another program left open, and then you have IWB trying to compile both programs

Does that make sense?

Brian

LarryMc

Quote from: Brian Pugh on January 15, 2012, 04:58:28 AM
.... better printing facilities all round would be great!
could you give me a list of the printing improvements you are talking about?

A thing that bugs me with the current IWB are Projects. If you have created a program that
uses a project file, the project file should be opened with it, automatically, and then close the
project file when you close the associated program file
That would really screw up the way I do things. IWB+ is a project that has 60 project files. The new IDE will wind up with somewhere around that number. The Chart Designer has 35, Button Designer 15, and Snippet Manager 20. And I have numerous other projects with lesser numbers.
So first of all I don't want all of a projects files to open when I open the project.  I wouldn't be able to read the file names on the tabs.
However, it would be easy enough to make that functionallity a user config option (just put it on my todo list)

I try to avoid writing code from scratch. I copy code where ever I can.  So I'm constantly opening files from multiple  projects so I can copy code into my current project.

I have been caught quite a few times compiling a program without a project, having a project
file from another program left open, and then you have IWB trying to compile both programs
Yes, I've been caught trying to compile a single,non-project file while I have a project open.
To the best of my knowledge it won't(and can't) compile the single non-project file. It will prompt to save any changes in it but it will be the project that is compiled.  If I have files from other projects open(but not the project itself) the IDE will try to compile the file that currently is the active window in the IDE. Again, that's with no project open.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Bruce Peaslee

I don't think Brian wanted all project's files to be opened, just the project file itself. (Maybe I'm wrong.)

One thing I've always wanted is top be able to insert page breaks when I list the code.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

LarryMc

Quote from: peaslee on January 16, 2012, 10:45:50 AM
I don't think Brian wanted all project's files to be opened, just the project file itself. (Maybe I'm wrong.)
You might be right.  Maybe Brian can explain it to me in a different way.

Quote from: peaslee on January 16, 2012, 10:45:50 AM
One thing I've always wanted is to be able to insert page breaks when I list the code.
what I was planning on was having it where the user can set all four margins along with header and footer.
If what you want is different from that then
"Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do" ;)

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Mini-Update
I made a major breakthrough (for me) today on the print preview.

I can print text to a window and zoom in/out and the window AND text scales properly.
I was have real problems getting my head around how I need to go about it.

Still a lot to do though with a GUI allowing user to set all parameters(headers/footers/margins/color/no color/printer selection/page/pages to print.
But all of that is pretty straight forward.

BTW (@Bruce) I think I've figured out a scheme where the user will be all to place page breaks anywhere in the program and no limit on the number of them.
But I won't be able to test my theory until I get everything working properly.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Brian

Hi, Larry,

Better reply - been having connection problems over here...

All I really wanted it to do was: If a program had an attached project, opening
the file would open the project. And, conversely, close the project when the
file was closed

Many thanks,

Brian

LarryMc

Quote from: Brian Pugh on January 20, 2012, 11:45:02 AM
Hi, Larry,

Better reply - been having connection problems over here...

All I really wanted it to do was: If a program had an attached project, opening
the file would open the project. And, conversely, close the project when the
file was closed

Many thanks,

Brian

Can't work that way.  Here's why.
There is nothing stored in an iwb file other than the text you see in the editor window.  There is no information stored in an iwb file that tells what PROJECT it belongs to or whether or not it even belongs to a project.

A single file (non-project) application has an associated .opt file.  When a source file is opened in the IDE the IDE looks to see if the opt file exists for that single file and loads its info if it is present.  An iwb file created to be used in a project has no such file.  A single source file can be used in multiple projects at the same time.
When a project file is created it creates an iwp file. The first part of the file contains basically the same info as a single file opt file.  But the iwp also contains a list of all the iwb files that have been added to the project.

The only way your desire could work is search through every iwp file on your computer to see if the file you opened belonged to a project.  That would entail searching your harddisk(s) every time a file was opened.

Otherwise is would require a structual change.

Sorry,

LarryMc
LarryMc

Brian

Hey, Larry,

Don't be sorry. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Of course, I know about
the opt and iwp files - just didn't realise the implications of it all, I guess

Carry on, Sir!

Brian