May 21, 2024, 02:24:00 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Possible Flaw

Started by LarryMc, February 08, 2008, 10:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

When I use the style constant "BS_PUSHLIKE" with a radiobutton or a checkbox to force the display to act like an old car radio push button I can no longer assign colors with the SETCONTROLCOLOR.

Seems like I should still be able to change the colors from the default button colors.Code snippet:
CONST BS_PUSHLIKE = 0x1000
CONTROL m_wpanel,@RADIOBUTTON,"Test2",470,125,40,16,0,9
SETCONTROLCOLOR m_wpanel,9,RGB(255,0,0),RGB(130,205,144):'green
'results in red on light green text of radiobutton

CONTROL m_wpanel,@RADIOBUTTON,"Test2",470,125,40,16,BS_PUSHLIKE,9
SETCONTROLCOLOR m_wpanel,9,RGB(255,0,0),RGB(130,205,144):'green
'results in black on grey text of displayed button

Get same exact result if I change radiobutton to checkbox

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Ionic Wind Support Team

February 09, 2008, 12:56:35 AM #1 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:04:43 AM by Paul Turley
Nope.  It's a Windows limitation.  From MSDN:

By default, the DefWindowProc function selects the default system colors for the button. Buttons with the BS_PUSHBUTTON, BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON, or BS_PUSHLIKE styles do not use the returned brush. Buttons with these styles are always drawn with the default system colors. Drawing push buttons requires several different brushes-face, highlight, and shadow-but the WM_CTLCOLORBTN message allows only one brush to be returned. To provide a custom appearance for push buttons, use an owner-drawn button.

In other words if you want different colors on a BS_PUSHLIKE button you have to roll your own drawing routine and handle all the different state imagery.  I've written the code for Emergence to handle manually drawing buttons (BS_PUSHBUTTON,  BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON) so colors can be applied, and you can use the same technique for owner drawing the BS_PUSHLIKE check boxes and radio buttons.  In the Emergence library source file control.eba the function 'DrawButton' does the work of creating colored buttons.

If you just want a different color, and don't plan on changing the colors during the run of the program, then you could use bitmaps for the up/down states.

Paul.

Ionic Wind Support Team

LarryMc

Thanks Paul,
It seems like by now I would know enough to know if there appears to be a flaw that whatever is causing it is a Uncle Bill problem and not a Paul problem. ;)

Larry
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Quote..If you just want a different color, and don't plan on changing the colors during the run of the program, then you could use bitmaps for the up/down states.
I tried a @RADIOBUTTON control with the BS_PUSHLIKE|@CTLBTNBITMAP flags and it wouldn't take my bitmap but the text did go away on the button.

If I used @BUTTON control with @CTLBTNBITMAP flag then my bitmap did work as expected.

Not a big thing; I'm just experimenting.

Larry
LarryMc

Ionic Wind Support Team

Sorry, Not as simple as that ;).  You have to use an ownerdraw control and draw the bitmaps in the supplied rectangle according to the state of the control.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

LarryMc

Oh, I misunderstood.

Thanks

Larry
LarryMc