March 28, 2024, 12:06:13 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Drawing to scale

Started by Andy, November 25, 2021, 12:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

November 25, 2021, 12:54:04 AM Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:27:43 AM by Andy
I'm trying to draw a couple of things the old fashioned way onto A4 paper to some reasonable accuracy.

Example:

In one of my railway books, it describes the measurements of a particular railway station, but gives the dimensions in feet and inches...

Now A4 is 210 x 297 mm in size, so I want to be able to draw this station on A4 say with a little space left either side of the building.

If I was to take say 290 mm as my maximum length, how would I calculate / translate something like 35 feet 4 inches into this 290 mm - bare in mind this 35' 4" is only one third of the building (BUT not one third of the whole length of the station), and I want the whole building to fit on one page.

I guess what I need is some way to translate feet to cm and inches to mm but scaled down.

Does anyone have any ideas on some sort of formula I could put into a program where I could enter feet & inches and return the length I need in cm & mm.

Total building is 99 feet 1 inch in length to fit into 290 mm.

See attached.

Thanks,
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

A couple of programs here, Andy, that might help you out. Get your thinking cap on, 'cos they're from Sapero!

Brian

Andy

Thanks Brian,

I will have a look at that, anything that Sapero wrote does take some studying!

Just playing around with measurements, it could be the 1 foot to this scale would sort of work i.e. 1 foot = 0.3 cm (3 mm) = 297 mm.

0.2 cm works out at just under 200 mm.

So I think something like 0.25 cm a foot works out the best although that's a little difficult to measure.

I need to think on this one and study Sapero's code.

Andy.
 :)

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Egil

Andy,

I think the simplest (and fastest!!) way will be to convert everything first to inches, and then convert it  to millimeters multiplying the answer by 25.4, and then use Brians screen code routines for scaling the results to suit the paper.

I haven't seen Sapero's code before, but at first glance it appears to do much the same as Bians code.

Good luck!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

ckoehn

Ah my friends. All you need is windows calculator. Change the 99' 1" to feet, which is 99.083333'.  You want to know how many mm of drawing space for every foot. So.. mm/ft = 290mm/99.083333 = 2.9268293 or you can just round it to 2.9. Store 2.9 in calculator memory. 99.08333' * 2.9 = 287.3416 mm. That allows a little extra margin space.

Or wasn't this what you were asking?

Brain cells are still working a little slow.

Later,
Clint

Andy

Clint,

Sorry for not replying earlier, I've had back problems all week and was unable to sit at my PC.

Thanks for the calculations.

By the way, glad to see you seem to have recovered now - great to see you back, and the brain cells are still going strong!

Andy.
 :)