May 20, 2024, 12:26:54 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Collecting data from different log files.

Started by Egil, April 14, 2015, 11:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

April 14, 2015, 11:10:45 AM Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:45:59 PM by Egil
As mentioned in another post today, I made routines for collecting new data from logfiles (all text), and put it into a new file.
The program determines the correct name of the logfiles by checking the system for the UTC date. Had to do it this way because the programs making the original logfiles name their files the same way.
The program scans the original logfiles in 5 seconds intervals, and it "remembers" the setting of the selected filepaths by making a config file. This file is used next time the program is started, but the selections can be changed at any time the program is running.

I plan to incorporate these routines into the MapView, and let it pop up as a dialog when the program start, and whenever I want by using the menues. This code makes room for four "channels" (to suit my own new software defined radio), but a couple of friends that have tested the program during the weekend, have already asked for more channels. I guess they can be described as "hard core" decoders... :D
I don't think any of the forum members have much interrest in such a program, but maybe the code can give them some ideas. And if anyone has suggestions for improvements, I'll be very grateful.

Regards,
Egil

EDIT: Found faults in  the LogFix code. Replaced it today with corrected code.

Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Egil

April 17, 2015, 01:48:13 PM #1 Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:56:08 PM by Egil
The code posted  was found to be faulty. Have replaced the original zip file with the corrected files.
The image below showing reception of two channels for 15 minutes, using this program with PlanePlotter.

Egil

Egil

July 18, 2016, 12:38:38 PM #2 Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:40:22 PM by Egil
I have received reports saying that this program does not start after using it for a while. But moving the final (combined) logfile to an archive folder and deleting  the others fix the problem. Today I finally experienced the problem myself.
What causes this error, and why deleting or moving the logfiles (ordinary txt files) fix the problem, is for me a complete mystery.  Windows task manager reports that the program has loaded, but is using no memory at all, and the program does not show up on the screen.

I will make a "cleanup" routine to take  care of archiving the logfiles, but can anyone possibly explain why the program stops when the logfile folders become filled up?

PS. The code is the same as in the zipfile above.

Egil

billhsln

Have you closed the compiler?  Is there more than 1 instance of the program showing up in Task Manager?

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Egil

Quote from: billhsln on July 18, 2016, 01:02:02 PM
Have you closed the compiler?  Is there more than 1 instance of the program showing up in Task Manager?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Only one instance of the program showing up in task Manager. And here the program is running on an old laptop whithout any compilers installed.
There has been several houndreds downloads of this program from my website. And seven of them have reported the same behaviour. But I have not been able to reproduce it myself, till today.

Take care,
Egil.

LarryMc

how many files were in the folder when it quit?
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Egil

Quote from: LarryMc on July 18, 2016, 03:15:51 PM
how many files were in the folder when it quit?

I forgot to check before deleting them Larry, sorry...

But assume that some 60 logfiles in each of the five folders (four read from and one with files produced by the program), around  300 files is a  fair guess.
Now that I know about this, it's no longer a great problem. I'll make a householød routine. But I posted this in case it's my coding habits causing the problems.

Egil

Egil

When I became aware of the problem with program freeze, is sent emails to many of the persons I know use the program, asking them details about their computers.
The mentioned failure only occours on 64 bits systems using Windows 7 or newer.
Two of the users use XP and have not had any problems, and  both have more than 500 logfiles in each of the directories. The same is also the situation for a user using 32 bits Windows 7.
Only one of the users have Windows 10. But he had to obtain a new soundcard with  drivers for Windows 10 to get his decoding setup to work, and still he can only decode a single channel. His system crashed when the number of logfiles passed 96.