May 16, 2024, 05:30:03 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Lining up numbers

Started by Brian, February 18, 2017, 10:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Hi,

My granddaughter is dyslexic. Give her algebra, su-doku, fractions and the like, and she beats me! But Times Tables - oh dear, she just doesn't get them. She came for tea last night, bringing her maths homework, and she struggled a bit with some of the answers, mainly with the multiplication side

So I sat down today and wrote this little program. Dead simple and works. Just enter a number and press enter. But it would be nice if the numbers all lined up nicely, but I can't get my head around the USING call

Feel free to mess about with it, but please let me know if you crack it!

I think I will probably add a print window so that she can maybe print them out for further reference

Brian

billhsln

Added USING's to your code and then fixed a problem you had not foreseen.  Veranda is a pretty font, but not good if you want things to line up.  So added Courier New to where it shows the equations, that way they line up and made the font a little bigger.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Egil

Great idea Brian!

My youngest granddaughter liked this one, so I converted the text into norwegian.

When I was her age, we had to learn stuff like this by heart, but she says they do not do that any more. Instead they use calculators.
They call it progress, but I'm not so sure about that...

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Brian

Bill,
I will take a look at your improvements in the morning. Thank you. It should be interesting

Egil,
I also had to leatn them off by heart. Maybe I could look at turning the displayed results into speech, for the computer to say them back to her in some kind of rhyming meter

Brian

Brian

Bill,
Love the number alignment - thanks very much

I was messing with the speech just now, and I found a sample program in my old EBDev folder, but it won't compile, with these errors:

Compiling...
simple speech.iwb
No Errors
Linking...
IWBasic Linker v1.11 Copyright © 2011 Ionic Wind Software
Unresolved external __imp__gmtime64
Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\iwbdev\libs\disphelper.lib\disphelper.obj - Unresolved extern __imp__gmtime64
Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\iwbdev\libs\disphelper.lib\disphelper.obj - Unresolved extern __imp__mktime64
Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\iwbdev\libs\disphelper.lib\disphelper.obj - Unresolved extern __imp__localtime64
Error(s) in linking C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\Rachel\simple speech.exe

I have attached the program listing

Funnily enough, the .exe that was compiled ages ago that was sitting in my EBDev folder runs perfectly, and speaks correctly as well. I am missing something, I know, but don't know what. The disphelper.inc is there, and also the disphelper.lib

Brian

Egil

Brian,

You are not the first person having this trouble: http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=2412.msg42056#msg42056

I don't know if they ever found out what happened?

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

ckoehn

Try this...

$use "msvcrt.lib"
DECLARE CDECL EXTERN dhPutRef(pointer pDisp, WSTRING szMember, ...),int

WINDOW w1
INT run=0
CONST VoiceList=1

OPENWINDOW w1,100,100,400,340,@TOOLWINDOW|@TOPMOST,0,"TTS Test",&main
CONTROL w1,@LISTBOX,"",10,10,200,100,@TABSTOP|@CTLISTNOTIFY|@VSCROLL,VoiceList

SETFONT w1,"Times New Roman",10,500,0,VoiceList

GetVoices(w1,VoiceList)

WAITUNTIL run=1
CLOSEWINDOW w1
END

SUB main
SELECT @MESSAGE
CASE @IDCREATE
CENTERWINDOW w1

CASE @IDCLOSEWINDOW
run=1

CASE @IDCONTROL
SELECT @CONTROLID
CASE VoiceList
SELECT @NOTIFYCODE
CASE 0
ENDSELECT
ENDSELECT
ENDSELECT
RETURN 0
ENDSUB

SUB Speak (string a,INT VoiceID)
IDispatch speech
IDispatch spvoice
speech = createComObject("Sapi.SPVoice")
IF speech+0 <> NULL
GetComProperty(speech,"%o",&spvoice,".GetVoices.Item(%d)",VoiceID)
IF (spvoice <> NULL)
dhPutRef(speech,L".Voice = %o",spvoice)
ENDIF
callObjectMethod(speech,".Speak(%s,0)",a)
speech->release()
ENDIF
ENDSUB

SUB GetVoices(WINDOW win,INT vList)
'clear list
WHILE GETSTRINGCOUNT(win,vList)>0
DELETESTRING win,vList,0
ENDWHILE
IDispatch speech
IDispatch spvoice
string text
pointer pText
int count,x
speech = CreateComObject("Sapi.SpVoice")
if speech+0 <> NULL
GetComProperty(speech,"%d",&count,".GetVoices.Count")
FOR x = 1 TO count
GetComProperty(speech,"%o",&spvoice,".GetVoices.Item(%d)",x-1)
GetComProperty(spvoice,"%s",&pText,".GetDescription")
text=#<STRING>pText
ADDSTRING win,vList,text
FreeCOMString(pText)
NEXT x
speech->release()
endif
ENDSUB

Later,
Clint

Brian

Clint,

Compiles perfectly. Thank you very much. I can now get on with the rest of this program. There was something stopping my original efforts that had to do with the 64-bit OS I am using, but this works perfectly

Click the "Try it!" button for a personal message

Brian

Brian

Right, attached is the latest version - with speech. You can change the amount of lines displayed by changing the HowMany variable before compiling. It gets a bit tedious to listen to 20 lines without being able to stop it!

There is also a print window button, but I don't know how to get that to work. There is also an icon for the program

Also, I would like to know how you can change the inflection of the voice, to make it more friendly and meaningful. Can't find any calls to adjust that

Brian

ckoehn

I think the only changes were these:

Changed all: _dhPutRef  to dhPutRef, this was from Sapero (the code that I had this)

Added: $use "msvcrt.lib" at the top, this came from LarryMc

The top two changes allowed it to compile without errors, but it still didn't work.

Changed all: speech = CreateComObject("Sapi.SpVoice","") to speech = CreateComObject("Sapi.SpVoice"), this was from Sapero

The last change allowed it to work.

Later,
Clint

ckoehn

February 20, 2017, 05:57:37 AM #10 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:02:02 AM by ckoehn
You can make the TTS engine pronounce words by spelling them a certain way. "Larry" actually sounds better if you spell it like "Lary".  You could do a search and replace on known words before "speaking" them.  Just a thought.

Here is a link for the SpVoice method if you're interested: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms723602(v=vs.85).aspx

It looks like the common things you can change would be the rate and volume.

Later,
Clint

Brian

Thanks, Clint,

Added a couple of flags to make the speech run asynchronously and speak punctuations. Didn't make a lot
of difference, but it ticked a little box for me. Still working on it - just added tooltips

Really would like to be able to print the whole window . . .

Brian

ckoehn

The reason nothing is printing is because nothing has been printed to the window.  It is all in controls.

You could open another window and "PRINT" to it with the "PRINT" statement.  Below is the sub that I have made and use to print to a window.

SUB PrintText(WINDOW wp, STRING txt, INT x, INT y, INT pos)
INT pw,ph,px,py

GETTEXTSIZE wp,txt,pw,ph

py=y:px=x

SELECT pos
CASE 0 'line up the left side
py-=ph/2
CASE 1 'line up the right side
px-=pw
py-=ph/2
CASE 2 'center it
px-=pw/2
py-=ph/2
CASE 3 'line up the decimal point
IF INSTR(txt,".",1)>0
GETTEXTSIZE wp,LEFT$(txt,INSTR(txt,".",1)),pw,ph
ENDIF
px-=pw
py-=ph/2
DEFAULT 'where it is

ENDSELECT
MOVE wp,px,py
PRINT wp,txt
ENDSUB

Later,
Clint

Brian

Clint,

I'll take a look at your code later. What I have managed to do so far is to get the program window
saved to the Clipboard in bitmap format, by simulating the LeftAlt + PrintScrn keys, by code

All I need now is a method to print the contents of the bitmap in the Clipboard to a printer.
Looking through the forums doesn't really make anything jump out at me. I'll keep on looking

Brian