May 14, 2024, 08:05:54 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Update 12-19-2011

Started by LarryMc, December 19, 2011, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

As you know, LarryS had posted pthat he wanted the new IDE for IWB3 to be totally written in IWB itself with no 3rd party dlls. He also asked for people to submit code to help in that effort on condition that they would be rewarded if their contribution was used in the final product.

Following those guidelines would require not using the Scintilla editor dll.

there was one person who made a serious contribution to the scintilla replacement effort. Although their code won't be used in the final product it did contribute immensely.  It demonstrated the difficulty of that task and forced us to relook at the what and why of our goal and whether or not reinventing the wheel was really necessary.

A little history, as I know it, might be helpful.
EBasic was built with VC-2005; both the compiler and the IDE.
When LarryS purchased IonicWind he upgraded to VC-2006.
When work started in earnest on the 64bit version of the compiler LarryS purchased VC-2010.
While Sapero was working on the new compiler he determined that there were issues with continuing to compile the IDE with VC2010. 

This did not mean that Scintilla itself had to be abandoned.  As a matter of fact, IWB+ (my visual designer) is a form of IDE using the Scintilla editor.

LarryS and I went through all the pros and cons and came to the following agreement.
He will continue with the debugging/finishing touches on the new 64 bit compiler.
I will create the new IDE,in IWBasic, using the Scintilla editor.

To that end I will be posting my progess on the new IDE here.
My intnet is to structure things so that ultimately(somewhere down the road) IWB+ will be an integral part of the IWB IDE.

I welcome comments and/or suggestions.

LarryMc

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

aurelCB

Hi Larry.. :)

Quotethere was one person who made a serious contribution to
the scintilla replacement effort

I'm just curious who is this?
If is not a secret...

QuoteI will create the new IDE,in IWBasic, using the Scintilla editor.

Good , i think best option because scintilla is the best. ;)

LarryMc

QuoteI'm just curious who is this?
If is not a secret...
But it is a secret. The person contributed on the provision that their name was not given out.

Considering all the work,hair-pulling, and unnecessary effort that they saved us the least I can do is honor my promise.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

aurelCB