May 08, 2024, 03:55:29 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Direct3D examples not working

Started by tide, September 03, 2007, 09:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tide

The sample programs (direct3dexample1.cba etc.) do not work. They fail at the "IF CREATE3DSCREEN(win,640,480) <> 0" line. Anyone else having this problem? Any fix?

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

Ionic Wind Support Team

Should work.  It only uses DirectX 7.0

Try using a full screen instead of Windowed.

IF CREATE3DSCREEN(win,640,480,32) <> 0

I have seen some video drivers not support windowed mode d3d.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

That didn't work. I tried a few variations on the theme (different resolutions, bpp). Windowed D3D seems to work with other apps.

Ionic Wind Support Team

OK then it has to be something with your video card and drivers.  Model/Manufacturer?  I will look them up and see if there is any info on older DX7 funcitonality.
Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 w/128 MB vRAM, BIOS version 4.34.20.27.00

Ionic Wind Support Team

Thanks,
I'll see what I can find out.  Check back tomorrow ;)

Paul,.
Ionic Wind Support Team

GWS

No problem here Win XP DX 9.0c.

Are you running it from the IDE tide? .. or have you compiled it to run the .exe?  If you do that, remember to choose the
Windows DirectX option. :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

I was running it (trying to!) from the IDE but I just tried compiling to .exe with the directx option. That doesn't work either with my DirectX 9.0c.

GWS

Tide,

Try this subset test program.  All it does is test for DX7 or higher, and opens the screen for 3D work.
See if that will run.

It's very strange.  Have you got a 3D game or something just to prove your card is working?
All is working fine on my NVidia card with DX9.0c ..

Graham :)

tide

Graham,

Which test program was that?

DX Studio works just fine on my machine.

GWS

Ack! .. sorry Tide .. I forgot to attach it ..  ::)

Trouble is, I've deleted it again now .. :-[  All I did was load the DX Example 1, and remove most of the code except opening the DX window - just in case it was something else about the code that doesn't run on your machine.

Another thought .. will dxexample1 run for you?  It's a simpler program using Direct X ..

Graham

Ionic Wind Support Team

Tide,
Just a stab in the dark...check your system and see if you have d3drm.dll installed.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Here is a thread that might be of help for you.  Deals with HL2 not working with your card using DX7.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread32551-1.html

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

Graham,

Yes, dxexample1.cba does work! :)

Paul,

Yes, d3drm.dll is installled. It appears to be from my original XP installation with a file date of 8/09/02 if that matters.

tide

Oh, one more thing. The 3DX sample programs, e.g. world_local.eba, points.eba etc., that come with Emergence Basic work perfectly.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Because they use DirectX 9.0c and not DirectX 7.0

You would think it would be easy, but from what I have been reading there have been a lot of problems with that card and older software.  Which is why I gave you the link a few posts ago.  The guy had a patch that supposidly gets the driver set to work properly with D3D from 7.0

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

tide

Good news!

Even though I had fairly recent versions of DirectX 9c and the nVidia drivers, I decided to check for upgrades anyway. It turns out that they both have brand new updates so I installed them. DirectX didn't make any difference but the new nVidia driver does the trick - everything is working very nicely now! :)

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

GWS

Hooray ..  :)  now you can try ZeroDog's 'spooks in the garden' game ..  :)

Graham